Everywhere in America, fundraisers are planning year-end activities, trying to raise as much as they can before December 31st. So do that data dig, get your lists in place and take a look at my list of the top 10 things you need to do to get ready …
- Is your year-end appeal ready to be mailed and your Giving Tuesday strategy in place? (If not, hurry up!)
- Do you have your reminder letter ready to go? (Don’t leave any donor stone unturned?)
- Are you all set to make your phone calls to remind your best donors to give (if they haven’t already)? (PS – you need your list to be in good shape and ready to go)
- BOARD MEMBERS – HAVE YOU MADE YOUR GIFT YET? (It’s time)
- Did you update your voicemail letting those special donors know how to reach you if you’re not in the office and they want to make a special gift? (Hey, you never know!)
- Is your tax and estate attorney on speed-dial, just in case someone wants to make that complicated planned gift? (It happens ….)
- Did you take a minute to call and thank your best donors? (It is so rewarding) (Do you know who they are?)
3. In all the craziness – did you remember to breathe today? Pace yourself – you still have a few weeks to go.
- Are you tallying up how much you’ve raised this year …. Giving USA wants to know!
- Have you decided how to relax and replenish? Be good to yourself. You deserve it. And get ready …. I think 2017 is going to be a very good year.
I have spent the past week connecting with colleagues from different disciplines and different places around the country. First, we were in Minneapolis for the Land Trust Alliance Rally. There were almost 1,700 people, many professionals who have made a career in protecting our environment, but also many Board members of area land trusts, watersheds, farmland trusts – volunteers committed to working for our environment. Then this past Monday I was at a BoardSource gathering of their certified governance trainers. It was an impressive group of about 50 incredibly talented individuals who have made a practice of working with Boards of all sizes and complexities. As I came back to my daily routine, I couldn’t help but think about how my colleagues and I often discuss the challenges of engaging Board members. Yet, I also started thinking that we don’t spend enough time celebrating the incredible dedication and commitment volunteers throughout this country have to making our communities, our country and even our world and planet a better place to live. Sometimes engagement is really finding the best way to utilize someone’s talents who is truly motivated to make a difference and having meaningful conversations about what matters most. That perhaps sounds rather simplistic – but then again, at the core of most things is a simple idea that we can all believe in. So, my hat is off to all our volunteer Boards … a true inspiration.
As we are in the midst of a heat wave, staying cool is my number one priority! I mean after all, I wear a fur coat year round :). Other than finding the coolest spot in the office, my favorite thing to doze off to are the sounds of typing fingers on a keyboard. While my mom and the rest of my coworkers are working diligently to get their work done, I have my eyes on a nice vacation by the water. This month has been filled with deadlines, meetings, interviews and conference calls, I know we can all use a little time away to reset our minds. Well, as the Director of Goodwill, I hope you all had a safe and successful July; stay cool everyone!
Ahh the lazy days of summer have returned! But, that attitude most definitely doesn’t go for my coworkers. While I spend my days sleeping and relaxing, basking in the warm summer sunshine through our office windows, everyone is busy trying to meet deadlines and arrange daily materials. Although my mom has a busy schedule, she leaves me at the office where I watch over everyone diligently working (little do they know I report back to her!). Well, as the Director of Goodwill, I hope you have a safe and successful June!
I spend most of my days catching the warm rays of sunshine through our large factory-like windows. Ahh, life in the office- what could be better? If I am not traveling with my mom to meetings , you can bet I’m running from desk to desk with a ball in my mouth and my tail wagging. Sometimes it’s hard for me to get my beauty rest in our fast paced office, but I manage quite nicely. You think it would be hard to sleep through all of the printing, meetings, phone and office conversations, but that is exactly what sings me to sleep
Warmer days are here! As I begin to travel more with my mom, it means less days home alone and more time doing the things I love with the people I love! Life at the office has been pretty busy. Between conferences and meetings onsite and offsite, everyone has their nose in their work. As for me, I am looking forward to more trips to the park and swimming dates with my mom!
Congrats to both Boards, The Land Trust of Danbury and the New Fairfield Land Trust: Great job! Danosky & Associates was privileged to help bring them together. Great model for other land trusts.